Auburn University is accepting applications for an Assistant Professor (Ceramics) position.
Review of applications will begin January 5, 2016.
Find the official post on the Auburn University website here: https://aufacultypositions.peopleadmin.com/postings/1344
Auburn University Department of Art & Art History: https://www.cla.auburn.edu/art/
Auburn University Ceramics Program: https://www.cla.auburn.edu/art/programs/bfa-in-studio-art/ceramics/
Job Description Summary:
The typical teaching load is five courses a year (3/2). Primary responsibilities are in instruction and research with additional responsibilities in academic advising, curriculum development, and service on committees. Responsibilities specific to this position include leadership and on-going development of the ceramic area, oversight of budget, materials, and studio maintenance.
MFA degree in studio art with a working knowledge of global contemporary, historical, and theoretical discourses in Ceramic Arts including contemporary practice and craft traditions. Applicants must have established and active exhibition records and professional work that demonstrates accomplished technical ability in ceramics. Outstanding candidates will have evidence of a sustained creative research practice, the ability to teach beginning through advanced ceramics, the ability to teach 3-D design and effective teaching experience at the college level. Applicants should have the ability to teach all aspects of ceramics including wheel throwing, hand-building, slip-casting, clay and glaze formulation, firing of gas and electric kilns and alternative firing processes and experience with current digital tools in ceramics area. Strong written and interpersonal communication skills required.
Proficiency in interdisciplinary approaches, secondary areas of expertise and/or digital technology related to ceramics studio practice. Teaching experience as the instructor of record beyond graduate assistantship.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin January 5,2016.
Applicants will need to submit the following:
- Letter of application addressing professional qualifications as they relate to the position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- One-page Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- One-page Artist/Creative Research Statement
- Examples of professional work, 20 images with image identification list as a single pdf
- Examples of student work, 20 images with image identification list stating course level and assignment, as a single pdf
- Names and contact information of three references (letters will be requested at a later date for finalists)
- Copy of official transcript of the terminal degree
- Optional: Student evaluations and two sample syllabi