Idaho State University is accepting applications for an Assistant Professor in Ceramics position. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 19, 2016.
Assistant Professor, Ceramics (3388)
Posting Number: req287
Find the official posting on the Idaho State University website here: https://isu.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=287
Primary Purpose and Responsibilities
Solo instruction in six courses per year (3/3) of beginning through advanced – BA/BFA and MFA level ceramics, and other areas of instruction as appropriate. Conduct innovative and forward leaning creative research including developing an active exhibition practice. Participation in academic advising, curriculum development, and department, college and university service is expected. As head of the ceramics area, the successful candidate will need to be able to provide energetic leadership and effective management of the entire ceramics area including: oversight of budget, administration of studio facilities/maintenance, ordering materials, manage work study, career path interns and GTA student workers. Provide a deep knowledge of worldwide contemporary practice in ceramics, and possess a working knowledge of historical approaches to the field as well as offer theoretical discourses in post-modern cultural issues and art practices. Undertake other duties as assigned by the Chair.
• MFA in studio art required
• Demonstrated record of creative research and active exhibition record
• Evidence of successful university-level teaching experience, preferably beyond TA
• Evidence of experience running all aspects of a ceramics program and studio
• Proficiency in interdisciplinary and experimental approaches to teaching and art making
• Evidence of ability to teach wheel-throwing, hand-building, slip-casting, clay and glaze formation, high and low firings in both gas, electric kilns and alternative firing processes, and knowledge of kiln construction.
• Ability to offer experimental courses, as well as drawing and 3D foundations
• Provide digital investigations in the ceramic studio practice
• Evidence of successful grant writing
• Gallery and exhibition operations experience
Please submit the following documents with your application:
Letter of application addressing professional qualifications as they relate to this position, curriculum vitae, unofficial copies of graduate transcripts, (official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate), list of 3 references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers, artist’s statement, statement of teaching philosophy, 20 work samples of personal creative work and 20 student samples – all slides or slide key should provide the title, year, dimensions, and materials of work submitted. **Please submit work samples in two pdf or PowerPoint files. You are limited a total of 12 documents.**
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 19, 2016. However, the position will remain open until filled.
Salary will be $43,000 to $53,000 depending upon education and experience. Includes a competitive benefits package.
Find out more about the Idaho State University Fine Art Program here: https://wwws.isu.edu/art/index.shtml