Assistant Professor of Ceramics position open at Eastern Kentucky University.
The Department of Art and Design at Eastern Kentucky University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Ceramics. The department is looking for a dynamic, innovative artist and educator who can help shape the future of the studio art program. Successful candidate is required to teach 3 studio classes per semester, and to provide leadership in the ceramics area with responsibilities for area development, oversight of area maintenance, and tech support staff, service to the Department of Art and Design and the College including advising of students, service on department and college committees, curriculum development, governance and assessment. Ability to teach all phases of ceramics is required, including wheel-throwing, hand-building, slip-casting, clay and glaze formulation, high and low firings in both gas and electric kilns, and alternative firing processes. Preferred knowledge of Anagama, Salt Firing, Raku and pit firing.
Working Knowledge in digital tools as related to the field of art is (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, various web tools, social media, etc.). Additionally, potential expertise and interest in teaching 3D Foundations are desirable. An established and ongoing exhibition record and related professional activity is expected, along with working knowledge of the historical and theoretical discourse in Ceramic Art, as a contemporary fine art within a larger art-world discourse, as well as a craft tradition.
The College seeks faculty who value the opportunity to form mentoring relationships with our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence in teaching and to professional development, demonstration of scholarly work in the discipline, active participation in departmental, campus and College committees. The successful candidate will also demonstrate openness to pedagogical innovation, including, but not limited to, the integration of technology and distance education into the curriculum.
Teaching position begins August 15, 2016.
Minimum Educational Qualifications:
MFA in Ceramics or related field from a regionally (SACS, Middle States, North Central, etc.) accredited and/or recognized international universities is required.
* 3 to 5 years teaching experience beyond MFA preferred.
* Working Knowledge of all phases of ceramics is required, including wheel-throwing, hand-building, slip-casting, clay and glaze formulation, high and low firings in both gas and electric kilns, and alternative firing processes. Preferred knowledge of Anagama, Salt Firing, Raku and pit firing.
* Potential for, or demonstrated record of, excellence in teaching at the University level.
* Knowledge of emerging technologies and active professional in the Ceramics field.
* Proven ability to manage a Ceramics Studio.
* Working Knowledge in digital tools as related to the field of ceramics and art
Instructions and official post at: https://jobs.eku.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1442668304191