Reporting to the Director of Fabrication Studios, the Studio Manager, Ceramics will help manage the administrative and operational functions of MICA’s Department Fabrication Studio in Ceramics with a particular focus on the advancement of safety, equipment, facilities, and culture in the Ceramics studio. Under the guidance of the Director, this position provides technical expertise to students and faculty through curricular engagement and co-curricular initiatives ensuring the highest level of creative fabrication research. The Ceramics studio serves department majors and students enrolled in department courses.
Summary of Essential Functions
- Serve as a comprehensive expert within the field of ceramics and work with all faculty and students within the area to ensure safe, effective, and advanced practices.
- Oversee the operations and maintenance of the Ceramics studio, including kiln facility, main studio, clay mixing, wheels, casting, and glaze areas, ensuring that all equipment functions effectively and safely, the facilities are clean and efficient, procuring all supplies and materials as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop technical operation and safety instructions and guides (and subsequent updates) to be included in the Ceramics studio manuals.
- Develop, implement, communicate, maintain, enforce, and update a safety program that complies with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), OSHA standards and best practices within the Ceramics studio.
- Ensure all tools and equipment are operating with the highest level of functionality and safety, while making repairs as necessary.
- Work with the Director of Fabrication Studios and the Department Chair to determine day-to-day operations, equipment and curricular needs.
- Make necessary purchases of equipment, tools, and materials to ensure the studio is fully equipped; manage resources and supplies.
- In coordination with the Department Chair, manage fabrication-related expenses within the Ceramics budget.
- Oversee daily operations of the studio, which includes management and organization of the physical departmental space, studio(s), and operation of equipment.
- Conduct research to identify improvements that advance capabilities of fabrication research within the discipline.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A demonstrated knowledge of materials and techniques used in ceramics processes and practices
- Knowledge of ceramics equipment operation and maintenance; material forming; and firing methods including kiln construction
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical and conceptual developments in the field of ceramic art and design
- Demonstrated comprehension of ceramic materials, glaze and clay body formulation
- Demonstrated knowledge of Environmental Health and Safety regulations and best practices common in art and design production, especially pertaining to the safe use, handling, and management of a diversity of chemicals and equipment with varying levels of hazard
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students; ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies on and off campus
- Strong listening and organizational skills, ability to communicate professionally both orally and in writing with careful attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and respond effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- MFA or terminal degree related to art or design disciplines (applicants without a MFA or terminal degree but extensive experience may be considered)
- Three to five years of related professional work experience
- Demonstrated expertise in the safe operation and maintenance of a wide variety of ceramic processes and equipment
- Managerial experience
- OSHA 10 (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
- First Aid and CPR
- Five or more years of related professional work experience, specifically in ceramics studio management and organization
- Familiarity with ceramic equipment repair and fabrication
- Supervisory work experience
Learn More and Apply at: https://mica.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Staff/job/Baltimore-MD/Studio-Manager–Ceramics_R1298