The Pottery Workshop welcomes international artists to experience life in Jingdezhen. We provide the chance to explore traditional Chinese methods of ceramic production with comforts from the Western world. Our artist residency is unique to any other in the world, a porcelain city becomes your studio. All of the pieces our resident artists create are processed with the artisans in our community. We are located within The Sculpture Factory, a community of clay manufactures, throwers, flower sculptors, slip-casters, potters, glazers, and public kilns coexist.
The Residency Includes:
- 24-hour access to our residency studio
- A well-lit, air conditioned, or heated facilities
- Shared studio translators and coordinators, they will introduce you to the city of Jingdezhen by translating and solving technical problems with the local craftspeople.
- Full room and board, a private bedroom or a shared bedroom option with shared bathroom and laundry facilities. Also freshly prepared lunches and dinners are served every day except Sundays.
- Accommodations include flush toilets, hot shower, air-conditioned or heated rooms, regular cleaning service, and laundry facilities.
- Free wireless broadband internet.
- The cost of the residency program is 2800RMB/week. Residents are responsible for all other costs such as clay, tools, firing fees, materials, travel, shipping, etc.
When to Come
- The Pottery Workshop Jingdezhen, International Artist Residency is open year round except for the Chinese New Year (one month, typically February).
- The studio is busiest from April to June and September to November, when the weather is fair.
- The summer months are hot, June, July, and August. The PWS JDZ air-conditioned studios and lodging are quite comfortable.
- The winter is December and January, the weather is a chilly-wet. Planning accordingly with drying projects and dressing with warm layers is helpful.
How Long to Stay
- As well as working in your studio, a fair amount of time will be spent exploring the city and surrounding area of craftspeople, learning local techniques of pottery production, and getting acclimated to life in China.
- If you intend on producing work in Jingdezhen it is advisable to stay at least four weeks. Most resident artists find six to eight weeks necessary to complete a body of work.